Thursday 29 August 2013

Off and Running

So after a summer of hard work it was time to start a new season, this year kicking of in Nottingham for a $5000 event. I was unseeded for the this event but having done a good summer of work with my new coach Rob Owen I wanted to see where I was at.

However hard you train you cant replicate that tournament environment the nerves or pressures you experience are never the same.  The first event back is like your first day back at school when you were younger your excited to see fellow players and ask how their summers have been but you are equally nervous of what is to come.

First up I played Jerome Dadot a qualifier form France, it was our first meeting on PSA (Profesional Squash Association) and I was looking forward to my first game back. I managed to win 3/0 in just over 30mins happy to  get the first round out the way.

Next up was my Gloucestershire team mate Tom
Ford who I often train with and play against in training at East Glos. Just the day before Tom had beaten the number 1 seed and former 39 in the world 3/2. Taking this into account I had a game plan of how I wanted to play and it seemed to work as I won 12/10 11/3 11/8 which put me through to my first semi final!

There I meet Declan James who I have played against all through juniors, the match lasted for 1hr 20mins and I sadly came out on the wrong side losing 15/13 11/9 6/11 16/14. I lost a lead of 8/4 in the second which proved to be crucial but he played the big points better on the day. All in all I am pleased with my performance and I am already looking forward to my next event in Rotterdam!

You can watch my semi final match online by following the link below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KA9Vf1m3iU

No comments:

Post a Comment